About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Twas the Night before Surgery.....

Well, tomorrow is the big day. I get to have out patient surgery. It's a minor surgery. I have a ganglion cyst on the top of my left foot. This swells to giant size and I have a hard time walking and wearing shoes. I don't really mind not wearing shoes, but the walking thing is a real pain! I have put it off for a while. I wanted to see how much I could handle. When I did decide to go to Dr. Morgan, I got a shock. You see, 30 years ago I had a ganglion cyst on my left wrist. It couldn't be drained and I had to have surgery. Back then you had to stay the night in the hospital. When I left the hospital the next day, I had a cast on my arm to keep my wrist still. I only needed to wear the cast for two weeks, then I had it taken off and went on with my life. Today things are different. You don't have to be "put under", so you don't have to spend the night. They give you IV sedation and a block. In other words, we're going to stick a giant needle into your foot and inject something to numb it. But because that would drive you off the table, we'll put you night night with IV sedation first. Then, you wake up from a restful nap and they send you home. I can't help but think of Michael Jackson and his odd napping habits. Now we're getting to the shocking part. Unlike the last time that I had this surgery, I will have a "boot" on for 4-6 weeks! What?! Who has 4-6 weeks to hobble around in a boot? What about Holiday parties? I have talked to other women who have worn this boot. They said the only shoes that they found kept you on an even keel was running shoes. They had a thick enough sole so one foot wasn't shorter than the other.  I can see it now. We're invited to a nice evening out. I usually wear black, so I'm sure I would be in a nice black outfit. Something festive with sparkles on it. Then, you'd get to my feet, and I will have one dirty blue and white New Balance sneaker on and a hunky boot. Hmmm....not sure how to handle that one. Even if I was able to clean up my sneakers, which are always dirty, I don't know how to fit it in with the outfit. But the real shocker comes before I get to run around in a boot that makes my foot look like I belong to the Rescue Heros. For the first few days after surgery, I am supposed to lay with my foot elevated above my heart. Excuse me? My foot, above my heart. Well, there may be a few problems with that. First, I don't think I bend that way. I'm concerned about throwin' a hip! Then there is the fact that my middle is, well, large. It can only be squished so much! Not to mention the idea of laying flat on my back doesn't appeal to me at all. This is really not fun! However, there is always a bright side. Since steps are a no no for a few days. I have set up my own little room on the first floor. It's kind of fun. I put two twin trundles together to make a rather large bed. Lily Dog and I have already tried it out and it's not bad. Then I have my couch, rocking chair, TV, table, computer, nook and magazines. It could seem like a mini vacation. If I wasn't laying flat on my back with my foot up in the air. I will have to work on that part. One nice thing is, this has forced me to do most of my Christmas shopping already. I even have some of my gifts wrapped. Nothing like minor surgery to get you organized! I'll check in later. I hope you have a wonderful day! Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment