About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Stories

On our recent vacation we had three generations together. Whenever that happens, someone usually ends up telling a story on someone else. Then "story hour" starts. Family stories are told from the point of view of the storyteller. That point of view could have been actually being present in the moment taking place, or being present at the table when the story was told. The first stories I remember were my bedtime stories. A ritual that I enjoyed with my son when he was younger. I would make up stories and tell Jake and my nieces. Gwen and Courtney would sit for awhile, then be done with it, but Meredith would sit with me for a long time and listen to the princess stories. She would be wide eyed and so captured by it. Jake always wanted stories about making things magical and colorful or inventions. The first family stories I remember were always told at the Holidays. In most families, one side will be more adept at story telling than the other. Not my family! I have great story tellers on both sides of the house. Several of my cousins can tell a story and make you feel like you are right there.  I have seen it pass from generation to generation. When I look at Jake and the girls I wonder who will be the best story teller. I also want to make sure that the family stories are passed down. It is a connection with the past that you don't realize you have until story hour begins. The stories might be a little bit overboard, but you get the picture. I think that stories add a layer to us. It's like a old, comfy quilt where each square was added by a different family member. It wraps us in laughter and love and it grows with each generation. I hope that you have a wonderful story quilt wrapped around you. Take Care!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what fun! I wish my side of the family was good at storytelling!!

    ReplyDelete