About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Backseat Driver

We were all excited when we got our drivers license. In the 70's when I got my license, the requirement was a two week class I took in the summer, then on your 16th birthday you got your drivers license. Now there are a lot more requirements. Before you turn 16 you start taking classes, then you have so many hours of driving at night, during the day, with someone over 25, with and without passengers. It all seems so complicated. It could all be so simple. Just put my Mom in the backseat. At 78 years old, Mom knows she is the best driver on earth. The worst driver, in Moms opinion, would be my Dad. He can't possibly make it without Mom telling him what lane to be in, what the speed limit is, and which exit to take. Mom and Dad are in Florida right now. Yesterday I spoke with Mom on the phone. The conversation went something like this. "Hi Mom, how are you?" "We're fine, on our way to Orlando...get in the right lane...how are you?....Don, that's your exit!" "Mom, have you made it to the airport to pick up Gwen and Chris?" "Yes, we have them in the car, say Hi to Aunt Kim....you better watch your speed or you'll get a ticket...the weather is warm and sunny." It is always interesting to talk with Mom while she is telling Dad how to drive. She flows very easily from one conversation to another. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to follow. The only time there is a problem is when she is on speaker and I am driving, then I feel the need to do what she says, even if she is telling Dad and not me how to drive. In three years Jake will be of driving age. Lee and I talk about who will teach him how to drive. I think we should just put Mom in the car. She's going to tell him how to drive anyway and he would be learning from the best! Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment