About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

Time is really flying by. I haven't updated in weeks and I have so many stories piling up! I decided that today would be a good day to look back. In the last few months I have gotten a vendors license, applied and gotten into several famers markets, and got my business off the ground. How did I do it? I was able to do it because of this wonderful country we live in. I am able, in my early 50's, to walk into the tax department and apply and receive a vendors license. I am able every Tuesday to set up shop on fountain square with other like minded people and sell my dog cookies. I can do this because of the beliefs that founded our country. I have two Navy men in my house. My father was in the Navy during the Korean War and Lee was in the Navy twice, once in the late 70's and then again in the late 80's/early 90's. We were already married on the second time around. Lee didn't "see action" the way Dad did. We weren't "at war" at those times. He was still ready, and willing, to go if needed. It's because of people like Dad and Lee that we can be free and sometimes stupid. We can protest what we think is wrong. We can vote, or not, for who we want to run the country and then complain about them when they are in office. There are some who feel the need to burn the flag and protest at military funerals, and they have the right to do so. Because men and women fought for our rights. It saddens me that when Jake was in grade school they sang America the Beautiful instead of the Star Spangled Banner. I was told it was easier to sing. Jake isn't sure about the words to the National Anthem. I plan on working on that this year. I want him to understand his roots. I want him to know that because of very brave men and women he can be free and feel safe. That    the freedom we enjoy did come with a price. So today, hug your family, and if they happen to be, or have been in the military, thank them for me. Take care!

1 comment:

  1. Amen!!! Thanks Kim, for reminding us how important our freedoms are!!! So, that said, thank you Don and Lee for your service to your country and for helping keep America free!! Thanks, also, to all our Servicemen and women -- we appreciate you!!!

    ReplyDelete