About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Friday, December 24, 2010

It's Christmas!

Merry Christmas! I hope that you are enjoying the Holidays. When I look back at Christmas past, it's hard to point to one memory. Usually on Christmas Eve, Moms cousin Buddy, his wife Sharon and their daughters Suprena and Mickie would come to the house. We would play games for the evening. Sometimes, my brother Greg and I would beg to open just one present on Christmas Eve. I remember the begging, I don't remember if we ever really did. When we were older, we did open gifts on Christmas Eve. When Santa would visit the house, the presents were never wrapped. Now I ask people how Santa brings gifts to their house. Some had them wrapped in a different color, usually solid red and solid green, some were left by the tree, others were left by the kitchen door because they didn't have a chimney. Most people left out cookies and carrots on a plate. Christmas morning we would open gifts, then head out to Grandmas house for the day. When she moved next door, she would come to our house. When Jake was born I couldn't wait for Santa to be part of Christmas at our house. I was always excited, we visited Santa in the mall, had the pictures taken, picked out a special outfit for Jake to wear and I had all these ideas of what it would be like. We would have the fireplace on, danish for breakfast and I would watch him light up over my first cup of coffee. Well, I didn't expect much the first Christmas, but the second and third I did. I never in a million years thought that I would have to wake up Jake Christmas morning! I thought the excitement of it all would keep him up. Not a chance! He was out like a light. We spent Christmas Eve at Mom and Dads with Gregs family. I guess all the excitement of being with the girls just did him in. I didn't have to put the not before six rule into effect until he was 8 years old! Christmas has changed in the past several years. Santa no longer makes a stop at our house. This year I have a teenager, not a little boy. His gifts are less in quantity and more in cost, and he has a pretty good idea of what they are. Today Greg and his family will come and we will spend Christmas Eve downstairs at mom and Dads. This is making memories for Jake and the girls. Christmas morning we will open out gifts to each other and have danish in the living room with the fireplace on. As I drink my first cup of coffee, I will watch my overgrown little boy open his gifts. I will still see him as toddler, sleepy and happy. I hope that you are making wonderful memories also. Have a very Merry Christmas. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment