About Me

My photo
I'm a 50 something daughter, sister, wife, aunt, mother and friend. I have a husband and a son with my parents living in my basement. Keeping it together through menopause, the teenage years and the golden years. I hope you visit often.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

T'was the Week Before Christmas

T’was the Week Before Christmas
T’was the week before Christmas and all through the house,
There were boxes and papers all scattered about;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
If I don’t get to Target they will remain bare;
No one is nestled all snug in their beds,
While thousands of sugar cookies dance in my head;
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I ran from my wrapping to see what was the matter;
The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow,
Gave the luster of mid day to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature herd of eight neighborhood deer!
I looked about, filling with gloom,
I knew in a moment my shrubbery was doomed.
I whistled and shouted and called them all names,
I would tell you what I said, but I’m a bit ashamed.
They ran past the porch and over the wall,
Now dash away, dash away, dash away all!
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
There came from the kitchen a horrible sound.
The smoke alarm blaring, the cookies well done,
And I was wondering, Where is my son?
He was in the game room flung flat on his back,
He looked like someone stretched on a rack;
His eyes were glazed over, the PS3 blaring,
I looked at his clothes and asked, What are you wearing?
He gave me the look that I’ve gotten to know,
The room turned so cold I thought it would snow!
With the rest of a cookie held tight in his teeth,
I threw up my hands and accepted defeat.
I closed my eyes, and thought of an elf,
I laughed at the thought, in spite of myself.
I walked to the great room and looked at the tree,
It had a few decorations, maybe three.
I spoke not a word, but went straight to work,
This was a job I really can’t sherk.
I’ve got a few days to make everything right,
So Merry Christmas to all,
 and to all a good-night!
My apologies to Clement Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment